As PADI professionals, we are often asked by non-diving friends and family about the best way to start their underwater adventures.
If you have never been scuba diving, how do you know if you’ll like it?
For those of you who are hesitant to try, we have an awesome solution! You can try it out in a one-time class called a Discover Scuba Dive or in short a DSD.
The PADI Discover Scuba Diving program is a short “try-diving” experience for adults and children aged 10 years and older. This introduces you to the basics of diving, but doesn’t certify you as a diver. The DSD is usually a half-day activity. It’s a great option if you’ve been thinking about trying SCUBA for a while, but don’t have much time. It’s perfect for building up confidence in the water and seeing if you’d like it before jumping straight into a full course.
In a typical DSD program, your highly qualified Athens Scuba PADI professional gives you a short, but detailed briefing on the effects of water pressure, how to communicate underwater, how your equipment works, and how to enjoy diving safely. Then you’re ready to go! For your “confined water” practice, in a swimming pool or calm pool-like area, you’ll get comfortable with breathing through your regulator and swimming efficiently in your gear. You’ll also be shown a few simple skills from the full Open Water course.
Athens Scuba offers DSDs on a regular basis during the week and on weekends. No previous knowledge about scuba diving is required and the rental gear is provided by Athens Scuba. This experience is great fun and introduces you to the world of scuba diving. Come try it out with us!
WHAT TO EXPECT
You learn the basics of diving in order to try it out under the direct supervision of a PADI Professional. The main thing you’ll learn is that you really can breathe underwater!
- Find out what it’s like to breathe underwater and learn whether you can be comfortable there
- Learn what wearing scuba equipment feels like and how easy it is to move around underwater while wearing it
- Learn some basic skills and safety rules that will carry over to your full scuba certification course when you take the next step in getting certified
WHAT TO BRING
A bathing suit, a towel and your undivided attention.
The Full PADI Discover Scuba Diving Program
Included in The PADI Discover Scuba Diving Program
- PADI eLearning materials
- Skill training in confined water at the Georgia Aquatic Center
- Lifetime PADI certification card (sent via mail from PADI)
- State of the art rental dive gear
- PADI training logbook
- Transportation to the pool or the lake