The PADI Advanced Open Water Course
Your Open Water Diver (OWD) certification introduced you to a new way to explore the world and made you keenly aware that you’ve only just scratched the surface of the underwater world. Continue your scuba journey with The PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (AOWD) course.
Exploration, Excitement, Experiences. They’re what the PADI Advanced Open Water Diver course is all about. You don’t have to be “advanced” to take it – it’s designed so you can go straight into it after the PADI Open Water Diver course, if you wish to do more training. The idea behind this course is to make you an advanced diver.
The Advanced Open Water Diver course helps to increase your confidence and build your scuba skills so that you can become more comfortable in the water. This is a great way to get more dives under your belt while continuing to learn under the supervision of your Athens Scuba PADI professionals. This course builds on what you’ve learned and develops new capabilities by introducing you to new activities and new ways to have fun scuba diving.
You’ll Hone Your Skills By Completing Five Adventure Dives That Introduce You To:
- Underwater navigation
- Deeper water diving (typically 60-100 feet)
- Wreck diving
- Peak Performance Buoyancy
- Night Diver or Boat Diver (depending on your preference)
To Participate In The PADI Advanced Open Water Diver Course, You Must Be:
- A PADI Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
- 15 years old (or 12 for Junior Advanced Open Water Diver)
What You’ll Learn
The knowledge and skills you’ll get in the Advanced Open Water Diver course vary with your interests and the adventures you’re thinking of, but include:
- Practical aspects of deep diving
- Physiological effects of deeper scuba diving
- More ways to use your underwater compass
- How to navigate using kick-cycles, visual landmarks and time
- How to properly navigate and dive a wreck
- Mastering your buoyancy
The Learning Materials You’ll Need
PADI’s Adventures in Diving Manual and available DVD provide information on more than 15 types of specialty diving. You’ll use them as a guide to improve your diving skills and prepare for new experiences and adventures.
For all your learning materials and equipment, contact Athens Scuba.
The Scuba Gear You’ll Use
You use all the basic scuba gear. At this step, most people want to purchase their own dive gear. If not, no worries, you can rent our gear for the duration of the course.
The mandatory items you will need to have for this class are an underwater compass, dive slate, safety sausage, whistle, and a dive light if you are doing the night dive. All of these materials can be rented for the duration of the class from Athens Scuba.
The Full PADI Advanced Open Water Diver Course
Price Dependent on Your Preferences
(5th dive is boat dive)
(5th dive is night dive)
Included in The PADI Advanced Open Water Diver Course
- PADI AOWD paper materials
- 5 Open Water dives at Lake Jocassee
- Lifetime PADI certification card (sent via mail from PADI)
- Transportation to the pool or the lake
- Accommodations at the lake
- State park fee of $5 per day, payable at the scuba shop at the lake